Monday, May 31, 2010

Sensitive Skin


Never in a million years did I imagine that Ellie's allergy to cow's milk protein would be her only sensitivity. She is my daughter, after all. And since I am allergic to everything under the sun (and possible the sun), it does not surprise me at all that we're discovering some other "allergies" as time goes by.


Huggies wipes, for example. Raging diaper rash. Remember that Dragon Baby incident over Mother's Day weekend? All because of diaper rash. A rash that went away as soon as I switched her back to Pampers Sensitive wipes. On a hunch, I picked some up at Target. Those were the ones the nurses used at MGH, so I thought it might sort that issue out.


Yup. Add that to the list.


I've also discovered that she breaks out in a little heat rash/hives-type-splotchiness when we give her a bath with Johnson & Johnson. You know, that yellow body wash that's in the background of your own bathtime photos from the 80's. The stuff that smells like baby.


Allergic.


We switched to Aveeno and now she's fine.


Most likely, she has a fragrance allergy, which (again) doesn't surprise me. I had a horrible experience with some body wash from the Gap once, so we know I have a fragrance allergy. So I'll have to keep an eye out for her detergent, anything I use to clean the house, and even candles that I burn in her general vicinity.... all things that I've had issues with. Delightful.


I know, I know. No one is surprised by this.


I'm sure the list will grow as Ellie does. And just wait until we start sampling foods. When I was a baby, I had a cherry allergy... so that will be fun, huh?


Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment