Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mommy's Coffee Break

Today I made coffee and forgot about it. I brewed myself a cup, stirred in my Vanilla flavored soy milk, and walked away. I didn't even take a sip. When I remembered it was there, it was cold.

So I heated it up in the microwave. I opened the door, placed it on the tray, typed in my desired heating time, and walked away. It sat in the microwave until it was cold.

I'm drinking it now, after heating it a second time. But don't go congratulating me yet... it's cold. Because I heated it again, forgot it, and then gave up my dream of hot coffee. Right now, I'll take the caffeine however it comes.

And this, my friends, is how I know I'm becoming my mother.

As a kid, I wondered how my mom could drink the same cup of coffee for hours. Heating it here and there, adding some hot coffee from the pot just to freshen it up every so often. I thought it was ridiculous. I thought to myself, "Stephanie, when you're old enough to drink coffee, you shall always have a fresh cup." But now I realize that if I had a fresh cup every time I forgot about my last cup, I'd dump an entire pot of coffee down the drain by noon.

And now it all makes sense. Mom was just saving on groceries. Mom was also impressive in that she could function all day on just intermittent sips of coffee. I admire the strength of her parenting convictions. I, on the other hand, have dubbed Ellie's 9-10 AM nap time as "Mommy's Coffee Break."

Let's see how long that lasts.

1 comment:

The mom of 4 monkeys! said...

Yep, hot coffee and motherhood just don't seem to mix...

Post a Comment