Monday, May 10, 2010

My First Mother's Day

Nothing says "Happy Mother's Day, Mom!" like diaper rash. I mean, I didn't ask Ellie to get me anything to mark this special occasion. But she went ahead and did it anyway.

Yes, she is her father's daughter.

I spent the weekend of my first mother's day with a cranky, whining, not-quite-herself Miss Elissa. 'Screaming' seemed to be her only setting. With Mike away at the National Latin Convention, it was me, baby, Penny, and a slightly shell-shocked Auntie Lish. If she hadn't been here to feed me, I would have starved to death by Sunday.

Between diapers and feedings, I managed to piece together 7 hours of sleep in three days. I know I should nap when she is sleeping during the day, but I have never, ever been able to take naps. Ever. Even when I was pregnant, it was a rare feat. And just because I now have a child that naps, unfortunately, that does not mean that I will now nap.

Needless to say, I was pretty beat by Mother's Day.

But my friends took care of me. Emily made me a cake - hooray! Lish made me tacos - yay! And then Chris took me to brunch Sunday morning, where many mimosas were consumed - thank God! And by the time Mike got home Sunday afternoon, delicious chocolate-covered strawberries in hand, I was eager for a nice take-out dinner on the couch with my favorite two people in the world and a DVD.

Then I got a good night's sleep. Finally.

No comments:

Post a Comment