Thursday, June 3, 2010

Lots of Firsts, All At Once



The past 72 hours have been fraught with My-Angel-Is-Getting-Bigger moments... It's crazy. When people tell you this baby thing goes by quickly, they aren't kidding. I feel like it's been only a few days sometimes, then others it feels like she's always been here.

My internal clock is all sorts of confused.

Anyway, Ellie is a professional roller-over(er)? She can roll over. In fact, at one point today, she rolled over on her playmat, propped up on her elbows and yelled at me. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to her cool new trick. She's working on rolling back the other way... we'll get there. It's a big step for a baby that's supposed to be "behind" on these things.

I'm one proud mama.

Then yesterday, as some of you may have noticed on my FB status, she put her binky back in her mouth. I wasn't home, I was working (of course). But my mother-in-law was on duty and she's pretty good at recapping play-by-plays like this. Apparently, she picked it up, hit her chin a couple of times, then got it into her mouth. The success freaked her out, it seems, because her eyes got really big and her mouth opened and... oops! Out it fell.

Again, we'll get there.

But then last night, my favorite new accomplishment occured. Ellie laughed. Not the cooing in delight thing. Not making happy, inarticulate yelling noises. A bona fide laugh. We were playing, getting ready to take her bath, just me and her. I made her laugh.

It made me cry. I can honestly tell you, no lie, that in that moment I saw everything I'd been through with her just disappear. None of it mattered anymore. All the stress evaporated. All that worrying seemed ridiculous.

My little girl is here, she's healthy, and she's happy. I'm getting teary all over again.

1 comment:

Post a Comment