Friday, September 10, 2010

Icky Surprises

It's amazing what you uncover when you move. I'm not just talking about back issues of People magazine or that sock that went missing shortly after you moved in. I'm talking about the other residents who've been hiding in your stuff.

Spiders.

Of all the reasons I don't like moving, this ranks as #1. When you start moving stuff around and "disturbing" the evil beasts, they start popping up and surprising you. Last weekend, when Mike and I packed up a sizable amount of stuff, we lost sight of one weird hybrid-spider thing that was red and had many legs. After it ran off, we discovered a couple of dead spider carcasses in its lair. Whatever this thing is, it eats spiders. Should I be worried? Or grateful?

And where the hell is it?

Shortly thereafter, another surprise popped out of the DVDs and tried to make me a widow. Fortunately, with some Pantene hairspray and flip-flop assistance, Mike managed to battle the giant cave spider and live to tell the tale. Yuck. I never got to see this one... it was so huge and ugly, he wouldn't let me see it. Something tells me I'd never sleep again.

It's been a few days since we've stirred up all these tiny ecosystems, and still, I'm meeting new enemies. Just today, a giant daddy-long-legs was chilling in the hallway. I'm not as scared of these things as "regular" spiders, but it was still about 8" in diameter.

Did you know that Swiffer dusters make light work of these icky things? And all the little tiny body parts stick right to the duster. No muss, no fuss.

Anyway, we've got some more work to do before we're ready to move out of here tomorrow. Here's hoping there aren't any other residents to discover, particularly if they're big enough to eat babies or small dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment