Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ellie's New Accessories


When Ellie was at MGH, still connected to the feeding tube, central line, and all kinds of drugs, I used to joke with the nurses that she had a lot of accessories. I'd pick her up from the crib and say, "Ok, Ellie! Let's make sure we have all your accessories!" I guess it was my way of making such horrid things acceptable. You gotta keep perspective sometimes.


Now, as we rise to a new challenge and a new type of accessory, I can't help but smile at my (seemingly) laid-back attitude toward things like IVs. Hearing aids pale in comparison, I can tell you that. And since Mike ordered the special clear-moulds-with-purple-glitter variety, my daughter's new accessories are at least stylish, if nothing else. Isn't that what we all long for, ladies? Style + functionality?


Anyway. We're getting the hang of this. These things require special care and constant vigilance. She wears them a few hours a day and really seems to enjoy them. Yesterday, she learned how to take them out. Oh, joy. She also learned that they can go in her mouth. Yes, the hearing aids that are not supposed to get wet... those make an excellent new teething toy. Once we thwarted disaster, we had a new appreciation for just how fast those tiny hands can work.


We still have a few kinks to work out. For example, remembering to bring them with us when we go new places. That would be a good start. But it's only been a week. The central line took some getting used to, and so will these. When I see how happy she is to hear us better, though, I don't mind this new adjustment to our lives one tiny bit!

2 comments:

The mom of 4 monkeys! said...

Hi Steph,
I am not sure if you know this but I have a sister who is deaf. I have known sign language since before I could talk and so have most of my kids. I wanted to let you know that there is a set of videos that is AWESOME called Signing Time. My kids love them and they learn so quickly from them! Ellie is a little young but you and Mike may learn some signs. Check out your library, I know ours has a bunch of them. Otherwise you can go to signingtime.com, at least I think that is the web site. Let me know if you have a hard time finding it.
Take care,
Melissa

Stephanie said...

Thanks, Melissa! I did not know about your sister, but it's great for me to hear about families that can learn things like this together to help one another out :) I will definitely take a look at the videos!
Steph

Post a Comment