Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Reading Is FUNdamental

So I'm a writer, right? And writers, to perfect their craft, have to read.  Actually, nine times out of ten, writers become writers just because of how much they love to read.  I find myself wanting to write the stories I haven't read yet, creating the characters I haven't met yet...and the like. 

So I'm a reader, too.  And I read a lot. Not as much as my sister, who devours entire novels in a day. Honestly, no one reads like her.  But compared to the average person, I eat books for breakfast.  Well, not like Ellie, who actually does eat books. (Her favorites are Kristan Higgins's romance novels. On this we can agree, we just have different ways of showing it.)  But yes, reading is kinda my thing.

I hear a lot of people say things like "I don't have time to read!" or "I can't get into any books right now!" and other stuff like that.  Reading is a dying past-time, from my perspective, and I can't understand why, especially with e-books and Kindles and stuff.  I don't have tons of time on my hands -- what with writing novels, freelance writing, raising Ellie, taking care of the apartment, taking care of Penny, etc. -- but I squeeze it in.  Even if it's only a few pages a day - during nap time, just before bed. Whenever.

A few years go, I was one of those people who didn't have time to read. Or so I thought.  The first New Year's resolution I ever kept was to read more - one book a month, to be exact.  That was in 2004.  I've read at least one book a month for the past 7 years thanks to that resolution.  Now, I'm reading more like two books a month.  Right now, it's March and I've just started my sixth book of the year.


So why do I do it? It's the one thing I enjoy that doesn't take up tons of time or require that I go anywhere or wear something special.  I can read anytime, anywhere. I just need my book. Last year, when Ellie was in the hospital for 67 days after birth, reading was the only thing I could do to occupy my mind.  Writing required too much concentration and movies were tough to watch on the commute back and forth or hanging out in that hospital room.  Books fit in my purse, so I just kept reading and reading.  In 10 weeks, I read 14 books. It kept me grounded when my life threw me a curveball, so to reading, I owe a huge debt.

I'm glad I've rediscovered my love of books and I won't be giving it up any time soon. And between my packed shelf of "Books to Read" and the Nook I got last Christmas, I'm gonna be busy for many months to come.  But just think of all the inspiration - and enjoyment - it will bring me.

1 comment:

Andrea L. said...

Yay for reading keeping you sane! It is one of my greatest comforts, too.

Post a Comment